Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fall In Love With Your Job

As I've told you before, Mondays are pretty challenging for me. It's always difficult for me to wake up in the morning and get ready for my hour long commute to go to a workplace that I feel isn't allowing me to make the best use of my creativity and talents, but instead is a vehicle I view as simply useful in allowing me to "pay the bills". As I talk to many other women, it seems that I am not alone in my sentiments. However, what I've noticed is that what makes the happy working woman different from the discontent one, is the ability to mold her work into something she can appreciate and fall in love with.

You may be thinking, "How can I fall in love with my work? I'm doing something that is unfulfilling and I am not happy". Let me tell you, as I've experienced for the past few years, the more you resist the more unhappy you will feel. It is not until you embrace your current situation and begin to see it for what it truly is and accept the lessons that you are learning that you will begin to find opportunities for growth and change within your work. It is important that you make your "work" begin to work for you!

Revamp your job description
Are there ways you can switch your day to day functions to be more in line with your passion and interests? If you are working in a field that has nothing to do with your passion, is it possible for you to at least create a role where you can play upon your strengths? Are you a people person? Try incorporating more client/customer facing interactions into your daily work. Do you enjoy creating processes and programs? Try tackling a new project that may prove beneficial to your team's work flow process. Brainstorm with your boss to come up with different ways to "breathe new life" into an otherwise monotonous work situation. Your boss will appreciate your initiative and you may feel more content with your new responsibilities. Whatever you do, it is important that you feel challenged by what you are doing? It is unrealistic to think that you will enjoy 100% of your work 100% of the time, but it isn't far fetched to strive to at least enjoy the process of being productive and playing on your strengths.

Realize the valuable lessons and appreciate the process
It may not be possible for you to redefine your work day. Maybe your job has a rigid structure that isn't able to be changed. Or your boss is unresponsive to your new suggestions. Instead of finding yourself in a space of disappointment and discontent, try to see the value in the job you are currently in. What skills are you learning you have that you never knew you possessed? How can you change your work ethic in order to take your position to the next level? It is important that we realize the value in our current experiences and see them for what they are. If you weren't meant to be in your current job situation at this moment in time, then you wouldn't be there. Maybe there is a lesson you need to learn that will prepare you for your next challenge that you haven't learned yet. Take the time to find out what this lesson may be.

The bottom line is that our happiness shouldn't depend on what we do for work. Happiness and contentment should come from a place deep inside. If you are truly happy, then you will be happy no matter if you are flipping fries at Mickey D's, restocking the shelves at Walgreens, or crunching numbers on Wall Street. Take the time to appreciate your current experience and in no time you will attract the perfect job situation for yourself.

No comments:

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!