Saturday, June 28, 2008

Is It Time To Move On..3 Questions to Ask Yourself

I know we've all been there... in the middle of nowhere. Stuck somewhere between a rock and a hard place and feeling like all of our efforts are in vain. Whether you recall being in a bad relationship for a day, month, or year longer than was worth your time. Or even pressured into another ten years of a job that you felt was stifling your creativity and taking you nowhere. Or have you found yourself guilty of hanging around with "friends" that you've outgrown about 6 years prior.. How do you know when it's time to move on?

Staying put in a situation that serves no purpose in our bottom line is probably one of the most common mistakes that we as young women make. It seems we are constantly trying to make excuses as to why we should continue to financially support the boyfriend who hasn't had a job for the past year, take a back seat to the colleague at work who is presenting our ideas as her own, or remain on the committee that though it is for a good cause, doesn't allow us to utilize our talents the way we would like.

I realized today that I have been at my current job for the past three years, in my current relationship for two years, and have even had the same hair color for the last 4 years. Am I guilty of living my life simply going through the motions? I decided it was time to give my life a quick inventory to make sure I was still on the right track. There had to be a way to assess the "stuck" factor and I was determined to find it. Here is a short list of questions I came up with.

1. Is there a natural progression in your situation? Are things changing for the better? For worse?Change is an inevitable part of any healthy situation. If things are staying the same or getting worse it may be time to move on.

2. Is there room for growth? Do you feel you have learned all there is to learn in your situation? Are you still being challenged? If you are able to get by without having to be mentally or emotionally "present" it may be time to move on.

3. Lastly, are you happy? Obviously we all go through our good days and bad days but if the latter begins to outweigh the former, it may be time to move on.

Any abrupt change in our lives is going to seem scary at first, but I know that I would rather spend my time continually reinventing and challenging myself than spend my days wishing and regretting not seizing the opportunity to try something new and getting out while I had the chance.

No comments:

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!