Monday, November 24, 2008

How to Go Green Without Giving Up the Lifestyle You're Used To

The green movement has always been something in the background of my mind, but never really something I jumped into head first.. well, that is until now. I guess I just wasn't to thrilled about having to give up meat or wearing clothes made out of bamboo.

I'm not sure if it had something to do with my $90 electric bill (side note: yeah, I know.. there are only two people in my apartment and we're both gone more than we are home.. $90, really?) or due to the fact that I fell asleep with the TV on saturday night (lightbulb: that's why my bill is $90) and woke up to an infomercial on CNN about our Planet in Peril, but whatever the reason, I'm ready to turn over a new leaf and jump on this green bandwagon! Better late than never I always say.

Check out the below tips to help you get started if you too decide that you want to go green!

Get rid of your disposable plastic water bottles and invest in a re-usable one. You can pick one up at your local dollar store or even get a tricked out one with rhinestones and jewels. Whichever you choose, you will be doing a great service to the environment. Over 80% of the water bottles we use daily will never be recycled.

Recycle your old clothes. There are many ways in which you can do this. Donate to the Salvation Army, Dress for Success, or your local thrift store. Not only will you be decreasing waste, but you will be helping others who are less fortunate, and in some cases you can use the donation as a tax write off. An even more fabulous idea is to hold a recycle party with all of your friends. Everyone can bring in between three to five pieces of gently used clothing and each person can take turns sorting through until everyone has new pieces of clothes.

Stop using plastic bags at your local grocery store. Instead, invest in a couple of eco-friendly canvas bags and bring them with you when you go shopping. Maybe even take it a step further and trade in your Bloomingdales bags for the enviromentally sound alternatives.

Unplug your electrical chargers when you're not using them. I am guilty of having every appliance plugged in around the clock in my apartment. However, unless it's your refrigerator or some other appliance that really needs to remained plugged in, try unplugging when you're not using it. This act alone can not only decrease your electric bill, but it will decrease your carbon footprint substantially.

Use "green" cleaning products in your home. Clorox makes an all-purpose version called Greenworks which I used this past weekend (one of the rare occasions I was cleaning my apartment) and it worked just as well as any other cleaning product with less than half the harmful toxins (99% natural). Not only will your place have a fresh, natural scent, but you can be sure that you are doing your part to decrease pollutants into the atmosphere. *Bonus tip: have your guests leave their shoes at the door. This cuts down on dust bound pollutants that will make their way through your home!

Of course these are just my humble suggestions, but if one or more of these tips can help make our earth a safer place while not interrupting our normal routines too much, why not try them?

Alecia D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are all great tips. I've been trying to greenify my home a little by little and the easiest way I've discovered? Don't buy so much stuff. Instead of buying cleaners, just use some vinegar and water. Don't buy plastic water bottles, just use a refillable Brita filter. Spend less, use less. It's quite simple really. :)

Tara
http://theyoungmommylife.com

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!