Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Beauty of Black Self-Love



How many times have you felt like you weren't up to par simply because you didn't get your eyebrows done over the weekend or were a week late on getting your edges touched up? How many times have you felt inadequate simply because your shoes weren't designer or your car wasn't considered "luxury". Most women can admit that feelings of insecurity do creep into their minds from time to time, but what's most important is how you choose to deal with your moments of weakness.



Self-image is such an important aspect in our lives. If we look good, we feel good. If we feel good, we do good. If we do good, good things come to us. It's a wonderful cycle as long as we are in high spirits, however, the moment we let our guard down and allow negative thoughts to cloud our minds is the moment when we can be thrown off course.



Since self-image and the way we view ourselves is so important to the way we present ourselves to the world and also how the world views us, it is mind boggling to me how much we equate our image- our worth, to our outward appearance. Am I better than you because my hair flows down my back? Are you better than me because you have higher cheekbones and a sleeker neckline? Is she better than us because her skin is the color of caramel?



I recently saw a picture of a black woman and it really struck a chord with me. I literally stopped doing what I was previously doing because her aura was so striking. She was average size, average height, and had average looks. I was only able to see her face, so her beauty had nothing to do with what she was wearing. There was just an internal glow about her that seemed to leap off the page and surround me. The moment I looked at the photo, I realized in a split section that what should truly be necessary to make someone feel beautiful and secure is not a killer shoe collection or the latest bag, but rather something a bit more intangible. Something that would actually mean something when your youth fades and your looks wither away. Something more along the lines of confidence.

Don't get me wrong, it is very important to care about how you look and to take pride in the physical image you are putting forth, however, it is even more important to build upon your inner strength. Material possessions are very fickle. One day you can have them and the next day you might not. It is for this reason that we should not get too consumed with pursuing these meaningless objects. Instead, we should make time for the people in life that make us happy, that situations and experiences that build our character, and the opportunities that help mold us into the strong women that we want to become.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you, we place too much value on material things, instead of finding happiness within ourselves. I wake up everyday thinking about the things i want.. not because i need them but because it would put me in a certain class bracket. Dont get me wrong i do deserved the finer things in life, but i must understand that it wont make me find happiness within my self, that i have to do on my own and not with the help of a car or a condo, or a $500 pair of shoes.

Itiel said...

It is truly the spirit within that shows the true beauty of a person. I enjoyed reading this entry! I am all about looking good, living good, and smelling good (of course--wink), but none of that means nothing if there is no true awareness of self.

Itiel

Alecia D. said...

You ladies are so right! If only everyone would realize this, then people would probably be a lot happier. Yes, it's ok to have nice things, but we should definitely be striving to build ourselves up from the inside out.

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!