Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Black and Bougie: Why is that a BAD thing?

I'm sure we've all heard the words bougie and bourgoise and for the most part, especially when they refer to black people, they evoke negative connotation. But why? What's so bad about someone wanting to surround themselves with the finer things in life and always striving to have and be the best?

As a young, black woman who is continually striving to be richer, stronger, and better than I was the day before, I've been referred to as bougie at one time or another in my life, but instead of viewing it as an insult, I've come to embrace the term. If bougie is being used to describe me, then it must mean someone who is Young, Black, and Rich! And those are words that I don't mind being called and they can be used to describe me any day of the week!

What are your thoughts on the words bougie, stuck up, sididdy and the many other terms often used to describe someone who is doing her thing? Do you view them as negative or positive adjectives?

2 comments:

Kaliente said...

Lecia, i highly doubt u are bougie:) I haven't used that shyt in 4ever..lol but i would say my aunt is bougie...but it's a matter of her thinking she is better than and making you feel like you are not and talkin down to you...i guess everyone has their own definition..lol i like ur blog!

Alecia D. said...

Thanks Kaliente- I checked yours out as well...and I like it also!

I think ppl call others bougie when they are feeling their style and swagger, when they get jealous they try to downplay your fabulous-ness. I do agree the term started out describing ppl who think they are better than others, but now, it's used by haters in many different ways..idk- Ppl can call me anything but BROKE, doesn't make a difference to me! ;)

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!