Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why do I no longer care what people think?

Since August 18, 2001 (the day I started college), I always knew what I wanted to do with my life. I was going to get my undergraduate degree in Psychology, go on to a top notch graduate program for my Masters and Ph.D. in Psychology, learn the business for a couple of years at a notable practice and eventually venture out on my own to become a super-successful motivational speaker and life coach.

The plan was working well for me for quite some time. I graduated in May 2005 (Can't believe it's already been 3 years) with my B.A. in Psychology and was accepted into Columbia University's M.A. in Clinical Psychology program. All was right with the world...or so I thought. When I got my acceptance letter from Columbia, there was small paragraph about deferring your acceptance for up to a year. Sounds nice. I thought to myself. If I defer, I can take some time off to make some money at the Investment Bank I did a summer internship for who in turn hired me for a full time position. Great!

Three years later and guess what? I'm still at that investment bank. I never stopped. I never went on to Columbia and I thought I would never realize my dream of becoming a super-successful motivational speaker and life coach. (Actually, I knew I still would- because I'm so driven, but I honestly did not know how I was going to get there.) Although I've done pretty well for myself at my current job and am already up for a big promotion at the end of the year in my three short years, anyone who knows me knows that it's simply in my nature to strive to do well at any task I take on and that I am not at all passionate about doing what I am doing.

During my three year hiatus from graduate school, I've heard my fair share of "suggestions" from everyone and my mama. There was a group of people who thought I should just forget about school and seize the great professional opportunity I had at my company. They were under the impression that passion and purpose was overrated and that money should be the motivating factor in my choices. The next group thought I should just quit my job altogether and beg Columbia to take me back into their program. After all, becoming a psychologist is what I wanted to do since I was a freshman in highschool and my mind hasn't changed now, I was just "confused". The prominent group tried to drill into my head that it was a blessing that Columbia didn't pan out, since Psychology was such a fickle field and that the field of business is where it's at. They tried and tried to persuade me to get my MBA which is much more "marketable" than psycho-babble.

I must admit that I was confused- but not for the reasons you would think. Then one day it all changed. I created YBR and I realized that I had the makings of something great here. If I stayed focused and planned correctly, this could be the beginning of my journey to reach my goals. Even though I still didn't know how I was going to accomplish it, I did know that I was going to accomplish it.

After three years worth of second-guessing myself, hearing conflicting opinions from friends and loved ones, and struggling with my own doubts and insecurities, I've finally, FINALLY figured out what I'm going to do. I didn't ask anyone's opinion, as a matter of fact I haven't even told anyone about it yet (besides whoever decides to read this post ;) and I'm not going to until everything is said and done. I am getting my masters degree, not in psychology or business but rather in a field that is more in line with my interests, personality, and professional goals. I'm going to stick it out with my current company for a while (since they will be financing this new educational endeavour) and I know now that everything happens in due time.

I guess the moral of this story is to understand that anything you are experiencing in life right now, is the right thing for you at this moment. Think about the many things you may have wanted over the years but never got. The job, the house/apt, the degree..whatever- and where you are right now. There is a reason you are here right now. SEIZE the moment and take ADVANTAGE of what's going on around you. If you feel lost, GO with that feeling. Noone else can make a decision about your life but YOU. It's inevitable that friends and family will try to offer you advice, but the most important thing is that you make decisions that will benefit YOU in the long run.

To answer the question posed in the title of this post. The reason why I no longer care what people think is because NOONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO DO ME! I feel so liberated now that I've finally realized this. LOL

To your success,
Alecia D.

2 comments:

Yani said...

Wow boo...i'm soo proud of you. And i'm glad you've realized what you have. Everything happens the way it suppose to be, never forget that. Put god first and trust that he has put you on this path for a reason. Mauh!!

Alecia D. said...

Thanks for the support Yani!

Things seem to flow so much easier when you realize you are on the right path and take every experience for what it is. I'm glad to have come to this conclusion!

About Alecia D.

Brooklyn, NY, United States
I am a Successful Lifestyle Consultant studying such philosophies as The Law of Attraction, Zen habits, and the Principles of Meditation and have been featured on Blacknews.com, HBCUConnect.com, and Ezine Articles as an expert author. I am interested in success- being successful and helping others be successful!